Get the Magazine
Become an IDA member and receive a complimentary subscription.
Cable Hook-Up July 2003
Cable companies has been part of the American home entertainment landscape since the mid-'70s. In this issue, we profile three of them: Discovery Times, TRIO Channel and MTV.
- Lauren Lazin began her tenure at MTV in 1992, when she formed the MTV News and Specials Department after having created MTV's longest running
- The Visions du Réel Festival ( www.visionsdureel.ch ), held in Nyon, Switzerland, last spring, is stunningly located beside a lake with snow-topped
- This spring, The New York Times Company and Discovery Communications, Inc. launched a new venture: Discovery Times Channel. It seems a natural match—
- International travel just as war is breaking out is never a good idea. The day before I was to leave for Cannes I found myself at the IDA's reception
- I attended the sixth annual Full Frame Documentary Film Festival in Durham, North Carolina last April, planning on paying special attention to the
- Birds in flight and birds in fights. Public power battles in India and Soviet Georgia. American women on welfare and American girls in jail. This
- North Carolina is a "right to work" state, which is part of her independent charm for documentary filmmakers, but also her challenge. There are no
- Theater begins alone, a seed in the mind of a playwright, nourished by imagination until a script is born. Many caretakers—actors, directors,
- Documentary filmmaker Andrew Jarecki knew he had something special with his first feature-length documentary, Capturing the Friedmans , released
- It wasn't too long ago when documentary films were relegated to the realm of PBS programming and occasional network specials. The emergence of cable
- What would happen if technology stopped in its tracks? If filmmaking's tools of tomorrow were the same as today? It's slightly ironic in the midst of
- Dear IDA Members: I report to you, as I have during the past few springs, from the Cannes Film Festival—and a very different Cannes it is for the