Get the Magazine
Become an IDA member and receive a complimentary subscription.
Capturing the Creative Process Nov/Dec 2006
We offer a snapshot of what's out there now in Art: the wealth of exemplary works, past, present and future, that help to define this particular strand of documentary filmmaking.
- From Xiaoli Zhou's The Women's Kingdom The Student Academy Awards, now in its 33rd year, continues to be the best-run student film competition in the
- On Edward Landler and Brad Byer's 'I Build the Tower: The Life and Work of Sam Rodia' and donnie l. betts' 'Music Is My Life, Politics My Mistress: The Story of Oscar Brown Jr.'
- On Steven Cantor's 'What Remains," and Gerald Fox's 'Leaving Home, Coming Home: A Portrait of Robert Frank.
- Docs on Andy Warhol, Jack Smith and Matthew Barney
- Katharina Otto-Bernstein's 'Absolute Wilson' and Frieda Lee Mock's Wrestling with Angels: Playwright Tony Kushner'
- Left to right: Buddy Squires, Ken Burns and Dayton Duncan filming at Grand Teton National Partk, Wyoming, for a documentary about America's Parks
- atlas (noun): a bound collection of maps, sometimes with supplementary illustrations or graphic analyses; a volume of tables, charts or plates that
- Peter Rosen's 'Who Gets to Call It Art?'
- Arlene and David Nelson's trilogy on Spencer Tunick's installations.
- On docs about art and the creative process.
- Dear IDA Community: As we dedicate this month's issue to the arts, I recall a vivid, yet confusing experience while reading E.H. Gombrich's novel,