Get the Magazine
Become an IDA member and receive a complimentary subscription.
An Education in Reality Sep/Oct 2004
In the issue, we provide you examples of educational programs in Doc Filmmaking for levels ranging from elementary school to graduate school and beyond.
- OK, I admit it. I watched The Apprentice . I TiVo'd The Simple Life . I even tuned in to The Resturaunt . And that's not all. I've become a fan of A
- The Independent Film Producer's Survival Guide A Business and Legal Sourcebook By Gunnar Erickson, Harris Tulchin and Mark Halloran <Schirmer
- For anyone who grew up in Canada in the 1960s and '70s, watching documentaries used to mean sitting in a darkened social studies class, while some
- The cultural plans for New York City's Ground Zero—the site of the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001-calls for attractions that infuse life
- Ross McElwee's genial humor has guided him through some of the more thoughtful feature documentaries of the last 25 years: his pioneering Sherman's
- DOCS ROCK, a bold new program developed for high school students by the IDA, is anchored on the premise that documentary films are a cultural art
- Documentaries seem to have latched onto the public conscience in a big way in recent years, thanks in large part to passionate filmmakers with a
- Not so long ago, before the introduction of videotape, almost all documentary films made in England were shot on 16mm, and scriptwriting was
- Journalism and news are great places to visit, say many documentary makers, but not places they want to make a career in. It's impossible to say just
- American journalism education has changed considerably since the days of Tom Paine, John Peter Zenger and Isaiah Thomas, when a would-be reporter
- "Students who enter the University of California, Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism Documentary Program are students who understand that they
- Given the dominance of USC School of Cinema-Television, University of California Berkeley Graduate School of Journalism and Stanford University
- Ten feature-length documentaries released theatrically since 1991 have grossed over $15 million globally, Daily Variety reported on June 25, 2004.
- On the US presidential election...
- Dear IDA Members: For the past three years, I've heard, "This is the Year of the Documentary." In a line of great documentaries including The