The National Association of Latino Independent Producers (NALIP) announces their open call for the 2012 HBO / NALIP Documentary Filmmaker Award. NALIP is a national member-based organization that seeks to support the professional requirements of Latino/Latina independent producers. NALIP is the first effort of its kind aimed at Latino production, and it is the first to sustain itself and provide ongoing support for Latino independent film and video makers. In an attempt to focus more on the Latino experience as documented through film, HBO has partnered with this great organization to create this exciting award.
From NALIP's website:
HBO has teamed with NALIP to find the next great Latino Documentary Film!
Social change has been the consistent undercurrent for HBO's critically acclaimed and award-winning documentary programs, with a myriad of issues presented in uncompromising quality and honesty. Through this cash award, HBO wants to focus its lens on the Latino experience and support the growth of social commentary by Latino documentarians. One Latino Filmmaker will win $10,000!
Entry deadline: Monday, August 27, 2012 (Postmarked)
- Application processing fee: $20 – No charge for current NALIP members.
- Submissions must be from a film already in progress or finished – footage and proposal to be screened by judges.
- Filmmakers may be U.S. or international, but film must be in English or with English subtitles.
- The winner must be 18 years or older, and of Latino descent.
- There is no limit to the number of entries: each entry must comply with the requirements below, and must submit a separate submission form for each.
- Prior submissions will be considered if the project has advanced to a new stage.
- A panel of industry professionals will judge the films based on the following criteria: uniqueness of topic/subject matter, professional quality of the film, and the structure, tone and style planned for presenting the topic to an audience. The judges will select one film as the winner of the competition.
- Winner to be notified by December 2012.
For more details and a full list of submission requirements, download the application here. (Save it to your computer before filling it out)