- October 2, 2020On Day 3 of Getting Real ‘20 , we joined the breakout session “ Counteracting Extractive Storytelling In The American South And In Global Communities
- July 29, 2020I am a white female filmmaker, a director of documentary films. Women, especially white women, have traditionally done better in documentaries than
- July 2, 2020Narrative justice demands that those closest to the problem define that problem. This necessarily means a rearrangement of who stands behind the camera, but also requires tools to advance responsible, accountable filmmaking no matter the filmmaker.
- November 1, 2019The team behind Getting Real ’18 made a bold statement on commitment to inclusion and representation by programming three #DecolonizeDocs panels—
- July 22, 2019Dear IDA Community, The theme of the Spring 2019 Documentary focused on “international” storytelling. We covered the innovate work of The Why
- September 20, 2017 @
Marcia Smith is president and co-founder of Firelight Media, an award-winning non-profit film organization, and principal of Firelight Films, a documentary film production dedicated to nurturing projects by emerging independent filmmakers and impact producers of color. With a record-breaking...