Protecting and advancing the legal rights of documentary filmmakers is central to the International Documentary Association's mission. IDA is at the forefront of numerous major issues confronting documentary artists, activists and journalists. Recent efforts have focused on promoting net neutrality, fair use and government arts funding, as well as defending filmmakers’ first amendment rights.
Read a note from IDA Board President Marjan Safinia about IDA's extensive advocacy efforts.
- March 16, 2015Last month, with the help of the UCI Intellectual Property, Arts, and Technology Clinic and Donaldson + Callif LLP, the IDA filed a lengthy comment
- December 17, 2014On Monday, eleven federal judges took the bench in Pasadena, CA to hear a copyright case that could have deep and lasting implications for
- June 20, 2014The settlement, if approved, would fulfill a pledge by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio to meet a "moral obligation to right this injustice."
- September 26, 2013Journalistic Privilege Prevails for Filmmakers
- May 9, 2012PBS today announced that two landmark independent non-fiction series will both move to Monday nights.
- April 19, 2012Documentary filmmaker's project is upheld as a money-making endeavor.
- December 14, 2011Please review our official comments submitted to the US Copyright Office along with Kartemquin Educational Films Inc and others.