Protecting and advancing the legal rights of documentary filmmakers is central to the International Documentary Association's mission. IDA is at the forefront of numerous major issues confronting documentary artists, activists and journalists. Recent efforts have focused on promoting net neutrality, fair use and government arts funding, as well as defending filmmakers’ first amendment rights.
Read a note from IDA Board President Marjan Safinia about IDA's extensive advocacy efforts.
- June 20, 2014The settlement, if approved, would fulfill a pledge by New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio to meet a "moral obligation to right this injustice."
- September 26, 2013Journalistic Privilege Prevails for Filmmakers
- May 9, 2012PBS today announced that two landmark independent non-fiction series will both move to Monday nights.
- April 19, 2012Documentary filmmaker's project is upheld as a money-making endeavor.
- December 14, 2011Please review our official comments submitted to the US Copyright Office along with Kartemquin Educational Films Inc and others.
- December 23, 2010FCC Rules in IDA’s Favor on Internet Transportation Speed of Films
- July 26, 2010Access Granted to DVD Content, Restoring Fair Use Rights
- May 12, 2010IDA, Academy Award winners and nominees object to judge's ruling over subpoena of footage.