Get the Magazine
Become an IDA member and receive a complimentary subscription.
Docs That Make Music May 2003
In this issue, we look at two of the most vital elements when it comes to music for docs: choosing and working with a composer, and clearances and rights.
- Like many documentarians, Malcolm Leo got his start at David L. Wolper Productions along with Mel Stuart, Jack Haley Jr., William Friedkin, David
- Berga: Soldiers of Another War is an elegy in two senses. The personal "what might have been" aspect of the story haunted and motivated Charles
- Filmmakers have often told me that they find the scoring process to be one of the most daunting aspects of making movies. Even the most seasoned
- Suppose one of those Oscar nominees that went on stage in solidarity with Michael Moore this year didn't really think that President Bush was a "
- CameraPlanet, the New York City-based producer and distributor, and Discovery Communications, Inc., the cable giant located in Silver Springs,
- Jon Alpert may be the bravest filmmaker I've ever met. Like most documentary filmmakers, Jon finds himself drawn toward untold truths. And in the
- As I prepared to attend the 2003 National Association of Television Program Executives (NAPTE) marketplace in New Orleans—my third such event—I
- While documentary and television aren't the same thing, to the majority of documentary filmmakers in London and the UK, they have become inseparable
- Two and a half years ago, as I was working on an English-language documentary about an ancient monument located in Eastern Turkey, I received an
- Two Filmmaking Teams Discuss Their Salutes to the Stars of Early Soul and R&B
- Dear IDA Members, I am happy to report on the successes of the Oscars Reception and DocuDay—and want to congratulate the Academy Award winners: