Join us for an informative Fair Use Master Class with prominent entertainment attorney, Lisa Callif. Lisa is the founding Partner of Donaldson + Callif, and co-writer of Clearance and Copyright, 4th Edition and The American Bar Association’s Legal Guide to Independent Filmmaking. Lisa’s practice focuses on representing independent narrative and documentary filmmakers in all aspects of the filmmaking process, with an emphasis on clearance matters, including fair use. Using examples from her extensive experience working on clearance issues in documentaries, Lisa will break down the do’s and don’ts of fair use.
As a special feature of this class, Lisa will workshop up to 5 projects to determine if fair use can be applied. Producers are welcome to apply with their examples, which will be selected before the class. (Details will be sent to you upon registration.)
Topics covered will include:
- Application of fair use in documentary programming
- When to ask for permission and who to ask
- E&O Insurance
- Fair use misconceptions
This class is ideal for:
- Experienced director/producers working on docs who want to expand their toolkit of storytelling devices.
- Film students and recent film school graduates who want to supplement their education with hands-on expert advice.
- Seasoned filmmakers who want to refresh or expand their fair use knowledge.
Special support provided by: