- July 2, 2020Narrative justice demands that those closest to the problem define that problem. This necessarily means a rearrangement of who stands behind the camera, but also requires tools to advance responsible, accountable filmmaking no matter the filmmaker.
- March 21, 2020Since AB5 (Assembly Bill 5) took effect in California on January 1, 2020, documentary filmmakers have found themselves facing drastically increased
- March 3, 2020In 2016 documentary filmmaker Senain Kheshgi was approached to make a series of short films in collaboration with Save The Children, Johnson &
- November 1, 2019The team behind Getting Real ’18 made a bold statement on commitment to inclusion and representation by programming three #DecolonizeDocs panels—
- July 1, 2019 @
Documentary production, distribution and audience consumption have shifted further into the mainstream than ever before, with original documentary features and series being produced across large and small distributors alike. And yet, despite new opportunities for nonfiction storytellers and...
- April 17, 2019IDA’s own Dana Merwin, a native of south Georgia who, as Program Officer, administers the Enterprise Documentary Fund and the Pare Lorentz
- September 27, 2018Tuesday morning, the Cinerama Dome in Hollywood buzzed with introductions, reconnections and reunions as Getting Real 2018 attendees settled into