A candid assessment of the current landscape for documentary filmmakers, this opening plenary lays the groundwork for three packed days of programming around the areas of art, diversity and sustainability at Getting Real '16. Presenters and audience members will size up the critical issues, both...
- January 5, 2018 @
- September 20, 2017In concert with IDA's Getting Real '16 conference, the Sundance Institute's Documentary Film Program, under the guidance of (now former) Film Fund
- July 11, 2017The annual AFI DOCS Filmmaker Forum was held this year from June 15-18 at the AFI DOCS Festival Hub in downtown Washington, DC. The forum opened with
- April 28, 2017By Michael Bracy & Cynthia Lopez By Michael Bracy and Cynthia Lopez In a time when public funding and media are in jeopardy, distribution outlets
- April 26, 2017I was sitting at an IDA-produced summit on sustainability in February in Washington, DC. Dozens of seasoned filmmakers shared personal struggles
- September 26, 2016*/ Editor’s Note: The complete PDF of this Survey, conducted by the Center for Media & Social Impact in collaboration with IDA, is available at
- September 23, 2016After over two decades of living in New York City (half in the Village, when "no-man's land" began east of Avenue B; half in Greenpoint, when it was
- June 6, 2016 @
Get any group of documentary filmmakers together and, no doubt, a big topic of conversation will be money: how to get it, how to make it, and how to keep getting and making it. Why? Because making docs is hard enough, but figuring out how to make a living making docs can be downright maddening....
- February 23, 2015Filmmaker Ross Kauffman has worked in the film industry for more than two decades. His directing credits include the Academy Award-winning Born Into
- February 23, 2015Myth #1. Filmmakers who tackle exposés of human rights abuses, or illuminate social issues, are not artists. We are. We give equal weight to being