- January 27, 2021I am here to provide a China perspective and a feminist point of view, raising some questions about the face of working women, and rather than addressing what we are concerned about as filmmakers, distributors and human beings in a COVID 19 pandemic and politically chaotic era.
- December 16, 2020This year’s virtual gathering of Getting Real ‘20 called for the redistribution of power within documentary practice and the removal of barriers
- November 20, 2020“When you are a member of a marginalized community, most film and television is not made with you in mind. And so, if you are a person of color, an
- November 13, 2020I attended my first conference in yoga pants and a t-shirt with snacks and a coffee mug on my desk, a cat and dog, and stretch breaks whenever I wanted.
- October 28, 2020 @
The co-director of Outcry and Whisper, Zeng Jinyan, discusses how women breakthrough systems that erase humanity. She explores the concept that dignity shines in vulnerability. Zeng wrote the script for the animation short A Poem to Liu Xia (Trish McAdam 2015), and...
- October 26, 2020It’s been more than nine months since the deadly movement of COVID-19 from China to North America and Europe—and nearly every other continent—utterly
- October 21, 2020The issue of ethics has driven the documentary field in various ways and in various degrees of emphases and urgency since the beginnings of the art
- October 7, 2020 @
A longstanding prominent aspect of non-fiction storytelling has been the interview, which at its heart is about connection. From a framed face speaking to the camera to a more vérité intimate exchange, the dialogue beween the filmmaker and interviewee contributes greatly to the voice of the film...