- October 4, 2020Getting Real ‘20 ’s Main Stage programming sought to address some timely issues within the documentary community, and sparked nuanced, thought-
- September 14, 2020Since our founding in 2016, the Documentary Producers Alliance (DPA) has grown to include over 300 members from 53 cities, eight countries and counting. Originally founded to advocate for producers whose role was misunderstood and chronically underpaid, the DPA’s work allowed us to realize that the issues we were facing were not due to our professional failures but to systemic ones larger than ourselves. Our goal as an organization is to identify and advocate for best practices for a field that is largely unregulated.
- July 29, 2020I am a white female filmmaker, a director of documentary films. Women, especially white women, have traditionally done better in documentaries than
- July 2, 2020Narrative justice demands that those closest to the problem define that problem. This necessarily means a rearrangement of who stands behind the camera, but also requires tools to advance responsible, accountable filmmaking no matter the filmmaker.
- March 21, 2020Since AB5 (Assembly Bill 5) took effect in California on January 1, 2020, documentary filmmakers have found themselves facing drastically increased
- March 3, 2020In 2016 documentary filmmaker Senain Kheshgi was approached to make a series of short films in collaboration with Save The Children, Johnson &
- November 1, 2019The team behind Getting Real ’18 made a bold statement on commitment to inclusion and representation by programming three #DecolonizeDocs panels—
- January 5, 2018 @
A candid assessment of the current landscape for documentary filmmakers, this opening plenary lays the groundwork for three packed days of programming around the areas of art, diversity and sustainability at Getting Real '16. Presenters and audience members will size up the critical issues, both...