- April 23, 2022Let’s face it: documentaries are no longer "niche." Since 2020, documentaries have been the fastest-growing genre on streaming platforms. Data
- February 16, 2022I always imagine Jean Tsien in constant motion, even though her work as an editor and producer usually means hours of sitting at a computer. Her
- November 29, 2021It was the first day on my new editing gig: a feature documentary about abuse, directed by Amy J. Berg. The AE had delivered the hard drive, the
- October 7, 2020 @
Documentary editors discuss their editing process and how filmmakers could apply a better understanding of intersectionality and the importance of inclusion and diversity in the workplace.
- March 23, 2020 @
In documentaries, women dominate the roster of editors working on the most compelling films and television series. To understand the current landscape in documentary editing, from the perspective of acclaimed female editors, we invited Kate Amend (The Keepers, The Case Against 8);...
- June 14, 2019 @
In the Docs Get Graphic Master Class, Emmy-nominated filmmaker Neil Berkeley explores using graphic design and animation to enhance a documentary's visual grammar and bring characters and narratives to life. Berkeley demystifies simple to complex design elements that bring an artistic and...
- June 21, 2018Since IDA's DocuClub was relaunched in 2016 as a forum for sharing and soliciting feedback about works-in-progress, many DocuClub alums have since
- May 1, 2018The 2018 Sundance Film Festival kicked off for me at the Firelight Media party at the Kickstarter Lodge, with a fired-up crowd anticipating the Women