Doc U: Stayin' Alive - Monetizing the Doc Career
Get any group of documentary filmmakers together and, no doubt, a big topic of conversation will be money: how to get it, how to make it, and how to keep getting and making it. Why? Because making docs is hard enough, but figuring out how to make a living making docs can be downright maddening. While there are no easy solutions, the answers are out there, contained within the collective experiences of your fellow filmmakers.
Co-presented by the IDA and BAVC, expert fundraising and career consultant Morrie Warshawski (Shaking The Money Tree: The Art of Getting Grants And Donations For Film And Video and The Fundraising Houseparty: How to Party With a Purpose and Raise Money for Your Cause) moderates this eye-opening and highly practical discussion with award-winning filmmakers Ellen Bruno (Sacrifice), Jenni Olson (The Royal Road), and Banker White (The Genius of Marian).
- creating multiple revenue streams from different modes of distribution, including self-distribution;
- soliciting and cultivating individual donors;
- leveraging engagement/outreach campaigns to build social networks and generate financial support beyond initial distribution cycle;
- using crowdfunding to develop long term supporters;
- extending the life of your film through speaking engagements;
- embracing new media to create additional financial and creative outlets for your film and broaden the reach of your career