- May 9, 2022In 2014, Claude Motley got shot in the face during an attempted car-jacking in Milwaukee. The shooter was 15-year-old Nathan King. A few days later,
- February 3, 2022In our bid to make this 40th anniversary issue somewhat of a time capsule, we asked our members to send in photographs—new and old—with the cameras
- January 21, 2022Dear beloved IDA, You are 40 years old! How time flies. Time, consciousness, and cinema are like friends who hold mirrors up for each other. As I am
- September 21, 2021In 2018, a junior soccer team and their assistant coach went into a nearby cave in Thailand’s Chiang Rai province. It was a week before the cave was
- July 15, 2021"You never forget your first time seeing a whale," director Joshua Zeman says in The Loneliest Whale: The Search for 52 . His was as a kid working on
- March 3, 2021Istanbul has a special relationship with their street dogs. It’s not merely tolerance; it’s collective care. Elizabeth Lo discovered this after the death of her childhood pet prompted her to examine how cultures around the world act towards the canine creatures with whom mankind has evolved. Thus was born Stray, a feature documentary that gets inside the life of one dog in particular, Zeytin, and shows how full of agency and rich with encounters her life is.
- January 21, 2021The Mole Agent is in a class by itself. For starters, documentaries about private detectives and their moles are exceedingly rare. What’s more, any film that mashes up vérité, film noir and Pink Panther tone is one of a kind.
- September 21, 2020Dujuan Hoosan is a precocious 10-year-old from Mparntwe (Alice Springs), Australia, considered a healer by his Arrernte tribe and a delinquent by his colonialist-minded school. For more than two years, Australian documentarian Maya Newell followed Dujuan, capturing both quotidian moments and broader patterns of racism, with special focus on the educational and juvenile detention systems.
- August 26, 2020The most nerve-wracking sequence in David France’s Welcome to Chechnya is, without doubt, the rescue of Anya.