- March 3, 2021Istanbul has a special relationship with their street dogs. It’s not merely tolerance; it’s collective care. Elizabeth Lo discovered this after the death of her childhood pet prompted her to examine how cultures around the world act towards the canine creatures with whom mankind has evolved. Thus was born Stray, a feature documentary that gets inside the life of one dog in particular, Zeytin, and shows how full of agency and rich with encounters her life is.
- January 21, 2021The Mole Agent is in a class by itself. For starters, documentaries about private detectives and their moles are exceedingly rare. What’s more, any film that mashes up vérité, film noir and Pink Panther tone is one of a kind.
- September 21, 2020Dujuan Hoosan is a precocious 10-year-old from Mparntwe (Alice Springs), Australia, considered a healer by his Arrernte tribe and a delinquent by his colonialist-minded school. For more than two years, Australian documentarian Maya Newell followed Dujuan, capturing both quotidian moments and broader patterns of racism, with special focus on the educational and juvenile detention systems.
- August 26, 2020The most nerve-wracking sequence in David France’s Welcome to Chechnya is, without doubt, the rescue of Anya.
- August 13, 2020When shooting vérité, Jesse Moss is typically a one-man-band. But his latest film—codirected with his wife, Amanda McBaine—demanded a full orchestra. Boys State required 28 crew members, to be exact, including an octet of cinematographers.
- December 20, 2018 @
A thirty-year veteran in the documentary field, Kirsten Johnson has received numerous accolades for her documentary films, Derrida, Darfur Now, Pray the Devil Back to Hell, and the widely acclaimed film Cameraperson. Johnson has worked with a wide range of...
- July 16, 2018 @
In a career that spans over 45 years, Joan Churchill has made her mark as one of the most influential cinematographers working in documentary film today. Early in her career, Joan shot groundbreaking films that helped define the style of vérité filmmaking, such as Gimme Shelter, with...