- December 28, 2015Haskell Wexler, who passed away Sunday morning at 93, earned the 2006 IDA Career Achievement Award not only for his exemplary artistry as a
- October 13, 2015For filmmakers, drone cameras are a tool with potential to shape the work—or even define it—with breathtaking footage from surprising physical
- October 13, 2015Cinematographers Joan Churchill, ASC ( Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer ), Kirsten Johnson ( CitizenFour ) and Buddy Squires, ASC ( The
- October 13, 2015Before he made Cartel Land , director/cinematographer Matthew Heineman had never shot in a conflict zone. His work had focused mainly on US domestic
- May 12, 2015While the 22nd annual edition of Hot Docs , North America's largest documentary festival, screened over 200 films from April 23 to May 3 in Toronto,
- September 21, 2014'The Boomer List' premieres September 23 on PBS' 'American Masters.'
- March 24, 2014When filmmakers discuss "shooting," they usually mean "using a camera." But when working in combat zones, shooting may suggest something entirely
- January 27, 2014 @
No other relationship is more central to the success of your project than the one with your cinematographer; yet, the skills, tools, and insights of most DPs are somewhat mysterious to the rest of us.
Emmy award-winning filmmaker Greg Barker (Koran by Heart) moderates an eye-...
- November 29, 2012The chopping sound of helicopter blades hovers over a black screen, feeling less like an entrance than a continuous perpetual drone, a cloud that
- August 9, 2012Samsara is the third non-verbal film Ron Fricke and I have made, the others being Chronos (1985) and Baraka (1992). These films have taken us in