- June 30, 2020Cutting Class is a new column that focuses on a specific aspect of the post-production process—breaking down a scene editorially, and delving into
- March 23, 2020 @
In documentaries, women dominate the roster of editors working on the most compelling films and television series. To understand the current landscape in documentary editing, from the perspective of acclaimed female editors, we invited Kate Amend (The Keepers, The Case Against 8);...
- March 9, 2020For all the artistry that goes into making a documentary, successful productions always rest on a sound technical foundation. “We talk so much about
- August 7, 2019 @
In our Sound Design Master Class, expert James Lebrecht emphasizes the importance of creative sound design in enhancing and enriching the storytelling prowess. With over 35 years of experience in his field, including Academy Award-nominated films like Extremis and 4.1 Miles,...
- June 20, 2017What is the typical process you will go through when working with a sound house or individual? Is there a typical process? Everyone works a little
- October 15, 2015To understand the technical genius of film editors, tune in to The Food Channel and take a look at the competition reality show Chopped . It seems
- January 26, 2014Filmmakers have often told me that they find the scoring process to be one of the most daunting aspects of making movies. Even some seasoned
- August 26, 2013 @
Filmmakers, editors, and graphics designers gather to discuss why utilizing graphics can be an important component in telling your story.
- January 12, 2009It must have been the fourth day of the Sundance Edit and Story Lab. I'd had a dream that woke me up. "Intent not content" was repeating in my head