In the Grant Writing Master Class, IDA's Program Officer Dana Merwin outlines the multi-faceted grant-writing process for documentary projects. From the Fiscal Sponsorship program, which has supported documentary production and post-production for nearly 30 years, to the specialized funding of...
- July 18, 2019 @
- May 18, 2019Filmmaker Pare Lorentz believed movies held enormous potential for social justice and education. In his 1936 film The Plow That Broke the Plains ,
- January 24, 2019Raising money for a film often feels like a Sysyphean task, constantly pushing a boulder up a hill. But as documentaries have become more popular
- January 15, 2019Editor’s Note: What follows is a statement from the IDA regarding the Documentary Producers Alliance ’s “ Best Practices in Documentary Crediting.”
- January 4, 2019This is a fully revised look at documentary budgeting, and updates the 2006 Documentary article “Don’t Fudge on Your Budget: Toeing the Line Items.” At the center of the documentary "business" is the budget, which offers a map of the filmmaking process, expressing both the film you’re planning to make and how you plan to make it. Ideally, it is also a living document that can help get a film to completion.
- September 28, 2018The ArcLight Cinema and its surroundings are not typically crowded at 9:00 a.m. on a weekday morning. But over the past three days, the area was
- September 25, 2018Just a few scrolls through the Ford Foundation's JustFilms initiative's collection of funded films since its founding in 2011 reveals some of the
- August 30, 2018Perhaps it is not surprising that in a community so deeply rooted in social issue activism and environmental concerns, the word "sustainability"